Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Margin Of Safety




A late post about my trip on Sunday....Busy working on my Florida Sport Fishing Magazine article.

I took the kayak out Sunday with my Mom and Lacy to Philippe Park in Safety Harbor. The weather was very warm, very little wind and an all day incoming tide.

Located in the northern part of Tampa Bay, referred to as "Old Tampa Bay", the waters surrounding Philippe Park are quite shallow, but if you follow the power line towers, you'll soon find a drop off from 3 feet to 10 feet.

My crab fly was getting some interest from something as I felt a few hits, but no real takers. Was hit and miss as I drifted along the edge...until the dolphins showed up. When a dolphin or manatee surfaces within 10 or 15 feet of the yak, it tends to startle me. When they take a breath, the sound gets your attention in the quiet serenity, and when you look over to see a large dark shape...well...you know.

The dolphins wouldn't stop following me and I would see them close by when I would paddle to a different spot....so after an hour, I went in and had lunch with Mom and Lacy.

As I said, It was very warm and Lacy kept digging holes to lay in to keep cool. She even found a bird or fish carcass to chew on that she didn't want to give up.

We headed home....and just in time to avoid a thunderstorm bearing down on the area....better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment