Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Up On The Downsize



There seems to be a recent movement toward larger lures...larger flies....build it bigger and they will come. For me, there certainly are times when I want to chuck a 8/0 Deceiver with huge dome eyes at a bunch of rolling tarpon. One of D.O.A's latest additions is the Big Fish Lure - an 8 inch soft plastic.

There are times and places for the big stuff....but why is it that no one ever thinks to downsize the lures being used?

I know the word "Downsize" is a dirty word in most circles but can prove invaluable in the world of fishing. Just by simply tying on a bonefish fly or small jig, you can often get fish to bite who were previously suffering from lockjaw.

The reason is quite simple.

On the flats that I fish, small prey items are quite numerous. Summertime redfish are often keyed in on grass shrimp which are less than an inch in length. When casting to spooky fish, try tying on an Epoxy Charlie or #2 Clouser Minnow. I've witnessed large tarpon feeding on schools of glass minnows, one of the smallest baitfish in the sea, swimming through the school, mouth agape, gulping mouthful after mouthful on each pass. Maybe a small plastic crappie jig or Clouser Minnow might do the trick....

So, the next time you're seeing fish but can't get them to strike, try scaling it down a bit.....

1 comment:

  1. I agree...My fishing is in fresh water...I love throwing large flies to bass and other fresh water species...But there are times when going smaller will definitely hook up more fish...

    ReplyDelete